Many of my clients ask me about the big square box in the center area of the house’s upper floor ceiling behind a collection of self-closing louvers. It’s a complete house fan and it will either benefit home owners or make living conditions worse.
* Preferably mild climates with cooler and less humid nights
* Make use of it as long as the temperature and humidity outside is more favorable in comparison to the conditions indoors. In case your air-con system is operating during the day, along with the temperature outside drops lower (nevertheless the humidity remains high), don’t turn the tumblr post. The vent will suck all of the humid air to your air conditioned house
* A good time periods to utilize it might be, of course, morning hours and evening
If you suffer from allergies, it might not be a great idea to bring each of the pollution into the house. Your window screens will stop a number of it, but whole house fans are really powerful and can make you sneeze more than ever.
1. Prior to deciding to turn the fan on, open as numerous doors and windows as is possible, close fireplace damper and / or glass door, and shut the furnace / water heater room doors (should they be louver type, it won’t matter). The suction from the whole house fan (at the very least on the highest speed) is really great, that without open windows / doors, it is going to draw air from the outside through any possible openings like, by way of example, from your chimney. Should it be a fireplace chimney and also you don’t remove the ashes… well, it’s likely to be a mess. Should it be a water heater / furnace chimney, it may blow off the pilots.
2. When things are ready, you can activate the entire house fan and usually inside the next few seconds you ought to feel a lot of exterior air flowing in your home. Unless…
3. This part is equally important as opening the doors and windows – both need to be balanced to work properly as a way to really enjoy the whole house fan operation. The atmosphere drawn through the whole house fan has to be discharged from the attic vents on the exterior. Otherwise, pressure created in the attic area will result in air that had been just pulled from the house to return with dust and insulation particles through any possible gaps from the attic wh0le and the whole house fan itself.
Regular attic ventilation is probably not enough to assist the Tumblr operation; you may want considerably more to transport everything extra number of air to the exterior. And the formula to calculate the square footage in the attic vents required to discharge that air is very easy. You only need the size of your entire rooms:
Example: your ceilings are 8′ high and you will have four 10′ x 14′ rooms, one 15′ x 17′ room, and a 10′ x 3′ hallway (this is only a sample, calculate all of the rooms within your house you believe ought to be covered)
10’x14’x8′ = 1120×4 = 4480
15’x17’x8′ = 2040
10’x3′ = 30
Total – 6550 cubic feet
Now you must to divide 6550 by 750, which equals 8.73 sq feet – this is the area of the required attic vents (every one of them combined – soffit, ridge, gable, etc.)
4. If the house you’re moving into has the whole house fan already installed, lets hope it was properly sized up due to its purpose (there might be a tag in the unit itself), which would be to replace your residence air within only a few minutes.
5. If you’re the main one installing the full house fan, consider 3 or 4 minutes as being an optimal time to the house air exchange. To accomplish this, you’d must divide your home total air volume (6550 cubic feet from the sample) by 3 or 4 minutes. That will give us 1810 CFM / 1357.5 CFM (Cubic Feet each minute).
6. One more crucial thing: louvers of your tumblr are certainly not air tight and also have no insulation applied on their surface; they leak air between the house and attic. I would personally highly recommend installing an entire house fan cover in attic area to stop air drafts throughout the cold season – don’t forget to eliminate it when you use the fan again.
Whole house fans are noisy and a lot of people never utilize them, nonetheless they might benefit your wallet when you apply all of the above. There are currently other sorts of house ventilation systems available: they cost more (2 – 3 times) but very quiet, more effective, and offer air circulation for long time periods.