Introduction To Installing A New Lawn. Installing a new lawn for most can be a back breaking task and many questions arise when looking out onto your yard area to see a vacant plot or an overgrow lawn area which has been neglected to the point of no return. This article will attempt to answer a few of the many questions I have answered from homeowners about installing a new lawn from sod.
Should I Must Take away the Old Lawn. Yes, You have to take away the old lawn. Removing the old lawn will make sure that when you plant the newest lawn the roots can penetrate from the old green layer. Typically a lawn removal should be to a depth of 2-3 inches, you need to consider the grade where your yard currently sits and also the amount of soil that you must install for your new lawn. In some special instances when you might add a layer of the latest soil without having to be above grade, you could leave the present lawn set up. New lawns will need the absolute minimum depth of three inches of any well draining soil, rich in nutrients. Most lawn removals may be completed by using sod cutter, using a bobcat as well as an excavator in challenging to access yards can be a hazard and could create more work than initially planned.
Soil For Your New Lawn. Soil for the new lawn is really important to plant health insurance and good growing conditions. Your brand new lawn will see significantly better growth over the years if a quality top soil is installed. In many cases the greater expensive the soil, the higher quality.
The perfect lawn ought to be designed with at least 3″ of a well draining topsoil. The soil itself should contain a minimum of 70% sand and the sub grade needs to be self draining. Soils that contain high volumes of wood chips and organic matter should be avoided. Soils that have paper recycling waste and have a strong odor needs to be avoided too. In most cases topsoil today is manufactured from compost, be sure to ask your supplier the valuables in the soil and make certain the composting process is done. A soil analysis having a neutral ph balance ought to be requested out of your supplier.
Type of Sod or Seed. Sod or also termed as turf is definitely the preferred way of installing a whole new lawn. Sod could be installed throughout the year and turf farms are ready to accept supply year round.
The range of grass seed or sod to make use of is determined by:
1. Using your lawn area. This can include the quantity of traffic that the lawn area is subjected to, including pets and youngsters.
2. The quantity of sunlight that your lawn area receives. Full sunlight areas should receive a minimum of 70% in the daily sunlight.
3. The seasonal temperatures within your climate.
Typically turf which comes from the sod farm or supplier will carry many different sod that is great for residential usages. Sod farms will grow kinds of grasses that fair well for brand new lawns with heavy traffic and shade. In some instances specialty grasses are available for low maintenance. Be sure to ask…
The Best Way To Install the Sod. Installing a brand new lawn may be completed using these simple steps:
1. Lay the turf out in a brickwork fashion, meaning stagger the rolls therefore the seams tend not to match near the top of the sod rolls. Start in a straight line.
2. Butt all edges together tightly. Doing some extra work and spending a little bit more time pulling the joints from the turf rolls together will guarantee the grass covers all of the soil. If you leave gaps in between the turf rolls, weeds may grow inside the bare patches of soil. Sod installation could be a difficult task in the event you don’t spend the time to get it done properly.
3. Cut all overlapping pieces into position with a sharp knife. You could niugpu the scraps to fill in other bare patches. Sod seams will grow together over time. There is no need to waste any other turf pieces.
4. Water the sod while you install. Tend not to enable the turf dry up at any time. In the event the sod is allowed to dry, shrinkage may occur on the seams and the turf may die. Installing sod over a hot day may need frequent watering so be sure you are prepared ahead of time.
5. Roll the new lawn after you complete laying turf. Installing a brand new lawn is a very rewarding task and gives instant beautification for any property.